A first for Someplace Strange! A guest post from the lovely Debbie who has a fabulous blog over at My Random Musings. Over to Debbie ...
Loving yourself. It’s a phrase that seems to have a negative connotation these days. I say it’s time to banish the notion that loving yourself is a bad thing.
Look in a mirror, and tell yourself, out loud, “You are awesome and I love you”
Did it feel a bit uncomfortable? I’m guessing it did, because we have been taught that loving ourselves is wrong. It is vain, arrogant. We should be humble.
I believe you can be humble but love yourself. I also believe you can love yourself without being arrogant or vain.
I think it always easier to believe the negative things people say about us than the positive things. It’s also easier to focus on what we believe to be our bad qualities rather than the ones we perceive as good qualities, that’s assuming we even dare to admit to ourselves that we have good qualities.
Here are five reasons I think you should love yourself:
- Because you are exactly who you are supposed to be. No one is perfect, but everyone is perfect for someone. You are a combination of nature and nurture, and you are exactly who you were meant to be. I think that’s pretty dam amazing!
- Because you deserve to be loved. That’s right, you deserve to be loved. Every single baby born deserves to be loved. You were once that baby, and you still deserve love, and that starts with accepting yourself and loving you for you.
- Because if you don’t love you, it makes it so much harder for others to love you. If you tell people, or show them through your actions, that you don’t love yourself, you are making it incredibly difficult for others to break down that barrier and love you. You are basically telling people you are unlovable, and that’s just not true.
- Because everything you are, and everything you can become depends on it! An important part of achieving your goals, whatever they may be, is self-belief. To truly believe in yourself, you have to love yourself enough to trust that you can do it, but more importantly that you do deserve it.
- Because you are awesome, dam it! You are you – totally unique and that is something worth celebrating.
So that’s why I think you should love yourself, but getting to that point isn’t always easy.
Firstly, you have got to lose the mind-set that loving yourself is wrong. If you have a real problem with the phrase, try to think of it as accepting yourself for exactly who you are.
Make a list of the qualities you admire in others. How many of them apply to you? You may be surprised at how many of them apply!
Do you love yourself? If yes, was it hard getting to that point? If no, is it something you are working on? Let me know in the comments
Born in 1982 in North East England, Debbie knew from an early age she wanted to be a writer. Life got in the way, and the dream was put on the back burner, although never forgotten. She now blogs at My Random Musings, writes guest posts for other blogs and plans to complete her first novel by the end of this year! (I can well believe that Debbie will do these things. My guest post arrived by return, complete with hero picture, after I suggested she do one for me! Thank you so much. This week is a bit of a My Random Musings takeover of Someplace Strange as one of my other posts this week is from a tag Debbie gave me).
Blog link: www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com
Guest Posting on Someplace Strange
If you're a blogger and would like to guest post on Someplace Strange, then please email me on email@example.com.
Sharing with all these great Linkys